So, this happened during the USA vs Germany game last Thursday, and this is what I have to say…
- you have 5 dual national German-Americans on your team. Remember that when you insult half their identity.
- using the hashtag ‘#backtobackworldwarchamps’ does not make you funny. It may make you feel better, but it also makes you look incredible stupid.
- Germans are aware of their past. They are constantly battling with the actions of their ancestors. Many have little to no “Nationalstolz” (national pride) because they have seen where blind trust and loyalty can lead, and therefore may be proud of individual moments or specific things like their Fußball team, but not necessarily of “Germany” as a whole. (For a concrete example: In America, I see US flags everywhere- on front porches, in front of many business buildings, and schools, and on the lapels of politicians– it’s an everyday thing. The only German flags I would see during my day in Germany are at the Parliament building and now as a few fans stumble home after watching a Fußball game.)
- Not all Germans living during WW2 were Nazis, just like not all US citizens supported the invasion of Iraq.
- Please stop making such stupid comments. Support your team, yes, and wave your flag and go ahead and hate on the German team itself, but believe me- Germans hate on themselves enough without you making tasteless comments about their past.
Thanks. Feel free to send me an ask if you want to talk about it– whether or not you agree, I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Also if we stay at football, the US football trainer is German and the trainer in second is from Austria (so think about that you where lead there by ‘Nazis’ the next time you make a comment like this) [and don’t you even dare blame it on them if your team looses]
This is why I want to live anywhere else but here. I hate living in the United States. I hate it more and more everyday.